The Academy broadly follows the curriculum guidance outlined in the Single Academy Model Mainstream Funding Agreement.
Click here for the Curriculum Policy
A mastery curriculum is based on the central belief that virtually all learners can learn all important academic content to a level of excellence.
In a mastery curriculum model, classes move through topics at one pace until the vast majority (most systems use an 80% benchmark) reach an agreed level of competency, with a carefully considered benchmark for mastery.
Click here for the Mastery Curriculum Policy
Marking and Assessment
In June 2013, the DfE confirmed that National Curriculum (NC) levels would be removed. Schools were subsequently given the challenge/autonomy to implement their own assessment arrangements.
In April 2014, the DfE published guidance on assessment which contained three principles of effective assessment systems i.e. they should:
- Give reliable information to parents about how their child is performing.
- Help drive improvement for pupils and teachers.
- Make sure the school is keeping up with external best practice and innovation.
In addition, the transition from alphabetical (A*-G) to numerical (9-1) grades at KS4 has led to a decision by the Academy to introduce a mirrored grading system at KS3.
Click here for the Marking and Assessment Policy
From September 2016, pupils at KS3 will be assessed based on a set of Indicative Competencies for each subject.
These Indicative Competencies ensure that assessment is reliable, meaningful and understandable by:
- Identifying a maximum of six ‘areas of competency’ – the crucial skills, abilities and/or knowledge required in order to succeed in each subject across key stages.
- Outlining a clear route of progress, with the competency demands at each grade increasing in depth, breadth and complexity.
- Promoting the attainment of mastery of a subject’s competencies as the key to success.
- Determining the grade at which these areas of competency emerge in pupils’ responses.
- The format and wording of Indicative Competencies are designed to support feedback and target setting.
Click here for the KS3 Indicative Competencies Policy
Click here for the KS3 Information Evening Presentation